Handling Buyer’s Rejection
Whoa! This is a hard pill to swallow if you’re experiencing this for the first time.
You’ve awaken early excited to get to your very first craft fair, coffee in hand, looking over your table with pride, ready to conquer the world.
Your items are displayed nicely, prices are reasonable, your banner hangs nicely and your tablemate knows exactly what she/he needs to do in case you have to step away from your booth for a minute of two.
And then she arrives…
Her hands are behind her back, like a teacher looking over your shoulder during a test. You smile and greet her with a warm hello. She responds with a stern look over her glasses, cracks a half-ass smile, and goes back to scanning your table.
You then respond by stating that if she has any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. And what happens next almost floors you.
She says, “These look like everything I’ve seen already. I can go to Kohl’s and find these same pieces.”
You stand there like a deer in headlights, your heart dropped two notches and you force the mask of a smile on your face. What…Just…Happened?!!! Of if you’re like me, your first thought was…WTF!!!!
Did this buyer just reject me?!
So now. Let’s talk about what’s really going on here. I mean before you snap because there are a few things we need to understand.
1. What just happened had NOTHING to do with you or your art.
2. We are NOT taking this personal.
3. Honestly, the opinions of others are just that. Opinions. They’re not factual and everyone’s entitled to one.
As an artist we feel our art are like our babies, we nurture them, we take care of them, and we feel like they are the best in the world. We love them and feel that everyone else should too. The reality is not everyone does or will and that’s okay.
One thing we MUST do as artists is to learn to separate ourselves from our pieces. In other words, this customer wasn’t judging you, just your pieces.
She wasn’t saying that you were not talented or that your pieces hold no value.
As a matter of fact, she kind of just gave you a compliment wrapped in insult (if you took it that way) because what she sort of said was that your pieces were so good that she could find them in a department store.
See how I just turned that negative into a positive? Yep it’s a thing and you can do it too.
Now I have to share something with you. That was a true story of an incident that actually happened at my very first craft fair.
So my question to you is, how would you have handled that situation?
What were some of your first thoughts while reading that scenario? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Pssstt…..Grab the workbook for this article here.
The ABC’S of Raising Your Vibes
You may have heard people saying things like, “Man you gotta protect your energy,” or “I get a bad vibe from that person,” So in a world focused on more negativity than positivity, how do YOU protect your energy from all the energy vampires? I’ve compiled this list of ideas just for you!
Awareness– Being aware of what goes on with your thoughts, emotions and body is one important way to raise your vibes. Pay attention to your thoughts, are they positive or negative? This will determine whether your vibes are at a low or high frequency. How are you feeling at this moment? What caused this feeling?
Balance– Are your days filled with to-do lists, emails, thoughts of work? Or maybe your days are filled with playful adventures but you procrastinate in getting your work done. This is where the root chakra comes in, it helps us balance the flow of life so we can live harmoniously. Learn more about balance in this video.
Chakras– Chakras are the energy centers in our bodies. If blocked they can cause chaos in our natural flow and cause us to become unbalanced or even lead to illness. New to the chakras? Learn more here.
Daily Work– Raising your vibrations isn’t a one and done kind of thing, it takes work, daily work. You have to constantly feed your mind with positivity. A few ways to do this is through affirmations, meditation, setting good intention and creative play. A great place to start is by asking yourself what you like and what your dream life looks like. Now begin setting goals on getting there.
Energy Work– Remember we talked about the chakras as energy centers in our bodies? Well now we have to do some energy work to balance them out. Start here to learn techniques on how to work on each chakra so that you’re on your way to a more balanced life.
Forgiveness– Forgiveness is a powerful thing. When you are able to forgive it means that you’re growing. You’ve moved past the stages of having to be right. You’ve set your ego to the side because you finally realized that forgiveness isn’t about the other person, it’s about you allowing your spirit to live peacefully. And in THAT moment you get your power back. You are untouchable, unfazed by what others do or say. You’ve moved into the realm of calm, freedom. That’s where you were meant to be all along. That’s the place called Healing.
Gratitude– Want to have more abundance in your life? Start with gratitude. The more you count your blessings, the more blessings you have to count. We made a whole video about it. Yep, it is THAT important and beneficial to keeping your vibes high.
Healthy Foods– One way to raise your vibrations is to eat foods that are good for your body. A great way to do this is to add more fruits and veggies to your diet and drink clean water. By doing this you’re creating better energy levels, meaning you’ll become less sluggish after a meal AND your skin is going to have an awesome glow. Start by trading out a few simple things or revamping your dishes. Try a spinach salad with a dash of pecans, sliced strawberries and a drizzle (not a drowning) of salad dressing. Or what if instead of frying chicken, you oven fry it instead. Search out different recipes and get creative.
Intuition– Hey did you just get a hunch to do something? That’s your intuition, your natural GPS system trying to guide you. Stop pushing the mute button and listen to it. You may be stopping yourself from taking the next great adventure because you didn’t catch that tip that was going to take you to the next level. It’s a third eye chakra thang.
Jump Into Action-Aahhh so you decided to listen to your intuition! Great. Now stop thinking about it and DO it! The only way something happens is by taking action.
Kick a Habit– Are you waking up every morning reaching for your phone to check out what’s happening on social media? Most of the things, ok…drama, that’s on social media is hindering your good vibe level. Instead why not change that habit and start your day with a new routine to get those positive vibes going. Wake up a little earlier to savor that morning coffee before running out the door. Or do a ten minute meditation or gratitude practice. Hey…you may even want to try a digital detox. Shaking up your routine can change your vibrations in such a positive way!
Laugh more– Nothing keeps your vibes high like laughter. Laughter is a natural healer and restores your joy for life if even for a moment. So feel free to pop some popcorn and binge watch a few comedy specials or go to a live comedy show!
Meditating– Oh there is so much I could say about meditation but I’ll start with this…it’s addictive and refreshing. Take time each day, at least 5 minutes, to practice meditation and watch how your life improves.
Natural Crystals– Crystals are a great way to improve your connection to your higher self. They have been used in many historical and cultural practices as a way of providing healing to the mind, body and spirit.
Open to Possibility– There are so many limitations that we put on ourselves on top of the ones put on us by others. Do something different and dare to step outside of your comfort zone by saying yes to new opportunities. You never know where they’ll lead you. This not only helps your vibrations get to the next level, it also causes you to break out of the old routine. Your sacral chakra will smile because of this.
Patience– Growth doesn’t happen overnight. It took years for you to grow into the person you are today so grant yourself a pass of mercy and allow time to learn new ideas and beliefs. The greatest part of the journey of self is to truly learn who you are in THIS MOMENT. So be kind to yourself. Smile. Celebrate. Live. There’s only one you and that’s what makes you unique.
Quiet Time– With so many tings, dings, bells and whistles trying to get our attention by way of phones, emails, loud ass commercial ads and other things, it’s nice to take time out of your busy day to just be. Believe it or not, the gift of silence can reduce stress immensely, and most importantly allow us to hear that still small voice we call intuition.
Reiki– So this is a type of energy therapy that helps relieve stress in your body and in your mind. It provides comfort and a feeling of rejuvenation so that your vibes are restored to its positive energy. You can seek a reiki healer or practice on yourself. Either way, it’s definitely worth looking into and I know you’ll thank yourself later because you did.
Self-Care– Ms. Janet Jackson herself sang “What Have You Done For Me Lately?” and I’m sure there are people in your circle asking you the same. Boo forget that! What have you done for YOU lately? When was the last time you took yourself on a date or did something YOU really wanted to do and not what someone else wanted you to do? Self-care is important especially for keeping your sanity and enjoying all that life has to offer. Next time someone tries to take all your time by asking for favors, tell them…Sorry but not sorry Boo, I’m doin me today.
Tai Chi– If you’ve never tried a Tai Chi class then you’re missing out. It’s a great way to learn to focus and you can totally feel the energy in your body. It’s slow movement, discipline and core training all in one. How can you go wrong with that?!
Unlimited Beliefs– That’s right…unlimited beliefs! You know that moment when your vibes are so high that your confidence says you’re the bomb dot com and can’t nobody tell you nothin! Yeah. Keep that feeling. That’s the feeling you get when you stop caring what other people say or think about you. That’s your source of power that’s going to take you to the next level. It’s a sign your solar plexus is balanced and working for your good.
Vacation– Get out of your normal routine and schedule a getaway! Exploring other places can spark new ideas, give you a fresh outlook on life and allows you to see the world with new eyes. And…HELLLLOOOOO…totally increases your vibrations! Oh and if you need help with traveling plans, my friend Johnnie is awesome (you’ve probably seen him on my vacay pics on Instagram) and can help you with your traveling needs. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Write an encouraging note to yourself- I’m so not kidding on this one. One day I got the nudge to write myself an encouraging note in my planner. I was having a great day and wanted to celebrate myself by capturing the moment and saying how proud I was of myself. Fast forward to a month or so later when I was having a not so good day, I went back to that note in my planner and immediately felt uplifted. I encourage you to do the same because you never know when you’re going to need that bit of umph to get you going again.
X out negativity– Listen I gotta be blunt here. Real talk you’re gonna have to leave those negative friends behind. They are sucking up your energy boo. You can’t keep getting wrapped up in the drama, it’s killin’ your vibe.
Yes- Say yes to yourself more. Stop making excuses for why you can’t do x, y, and z. Babe you’ve got to get out of your comfort zone in order to experience a real adventure. Your vibes can only elevate when you leave fear on the table and welcome faith at the door. Do yourself a favor and give the Universe something to work with.
Zen– Now that you’ve taken what I’ve said to heart and followed the ideas on the list, you should feel balanced, vibes are higher and you can whoosah. Congrats on reaching your zen. You deserve it and so much more.
If you enjoyed this article then you’re going to LOVE the ABC’S of Raising Your Vibes Workbook! You can grab this downloadable workbook for only $7.77 by clicking this image.
Which letter resonated with you the most? Share your thoughts in the comments.
In this video you will learn how to make a simple loop bead dangle. This simple technique can launch you into many other creative projects.
To Make This Dangle You’ll Need:
Bead of your choice
Share your photos in the comments of your dangle. I’d love to see any project that you made using this simple loop technique.
What is a vibe anyway?
Kendrick Lamar raps about it in his song “B*tch Don’t Kill My Vibe,” and 2 Chainz dedicated a song to it too called, “It’s a Vibe.”
A vibe is energy , whether positive or negative, that attracts us to each other. It could be the ambience in a room, a smile from a stranger, a connection to someone close, etc.
These energies are represented by seven chakras: root, sacral, solar plexus, heart, throat, third eye and crown. Below is a video that explains them in detail in case you’re new to them.
Let’s Dive Into the Reasons to Vibe Higher.
Finding balance is essential in creating a positive flow in your life. There are four major areas to focus on when creating balance: family, career, health, and love. Listen to more details about the four areas below.
2. Personal Power.
Sharing the way we share our self-expression is how we also tap into our personal power. Doing what makes us happy and being creative is a way to be vulnerable and transparent.
Building your self-confidence starts when you face your fears. Fears of being judged, starting that business, traveling to different places, or even trying new things. Did you know that we create many of the fears we experience? Saying affirmations helps, below are some that I used to help conquer mine.
The easiest way to grow in the way you view the world and others is by expressing gratitude. Believe it or not, gratitude is the secret sauce to attracting more positive vibes into your life.
5. Better Communication.
Communicating effectively is like liquid gold, people take you seriously, show you more respect, and value that your word is your word. Like my father used to tell me…..Mean what you say and say what you mean.
Insight helps us gain mental clarity. It is in the practice of silence and focus that we are able to hear or feel something inside of us nudging us to take the next step. The best place to start is to slow down from your fast paced life. You’ll be surprised what ideas and answers start pouring in.
7. Universal Connection.
Once we’ve worked through the other 6 steps, we begin to connect to everything the earth has to offer. Through our gratitude we connect to our Divine selves. We connect to nature, show compassion and respect for others and are on a level of knowing ourselves on a much deeper level.
Are you up for a challenge? Join the High Vibin’ 7 ™ Mini Challenge!
Ahhh….I love the smell of fall!
You know the season is changing when Starbucks releases their delicious fall themed drinks such as ANYTHING pumpkin. Oh. My. Gosh. I’m like in heaven right now! Seriously I have no control. My friend know I love pumpkin so much that he bought me the Taste of Home Pumpkin themed cookbook. Wait….Is he expecting tasty treats? Was that a setup? Lol.
Seriously though, I mean not that I wasn’t serious before, this is one of my favorite seasons. I love change. I love the colors of fall. I love the comforts of fall. It actually inspired me to create a fall themed collection and because of this celebration of fall, I’m having a sort of welcome to fall sale.
Check out the fall inspired jewelry!
What’s your favorite thing about the fall season? Share in the comments.
I’ll never forget the day I was introduced to Lisa Nichols.
My mother was actually the one who instructed me to watch her YouTube videos and I instantly became attracted to her words. Later I learned of Lisa’s association with The Secret, and began digging through the vaults to learn more about this powerful woman with whom I now had a connection with, even though she didn’t know it.
One day while at work I ran across this quote:
Nothing To Prove
It became my screensaver, my mantra, my affirmation of the day, my life. Every time I was faced with a situation, I whispered to myself…..I have nothing to defend.
When approached by opposition, I would boldly say…..I have nothing to prove, and stand on those words. It was more than liberating, it was freeing. Finally I found the freedom in the strength of my voice that I had been searching for, the strength that during a time I thought I had lost.
It was THAT day that I realized the power of my words. Lisa Nichols had shown me how to use my words to move the mountains that were confining me.
This ONE quote inspired me to create a piece that would remind me EVERY DAY how powerful I am. How I can move through obstacles and liberate the voice that I had once quieted in order to make others around me feel comfortable, all the while, compromising my own comfort.
Diva With Nothing To Prove Bracelet
This bracelet was created for all Divas who need that subtle reminder that your voice is important. It’s a reminder that it is your right to proceed with boldness, class, intent.
The Diva With Nothing To Prove Bracelet is a representation of me expressing my voice through my art. I invite you to join me in this revolution! You too can be bold and make your version of this bracelet here.
What quote has inspired you to become a better version of you? Share and enlighten us. I’d love to high five and celebrate you. We ALL deserve that.
If you’re like me you were in a department store shopping with your friends, headed to the jewelry section, perused the selections and realized that nothing they offered was your flavor.
Yeah, it happens. Sometimes the style we’re looking for just hasn’t been created yet and doesn’t really express our uniqueness. I mean why wear jewelry if it doesn’t represent a part of who you are?
It may be in this instance that you are inspired to create your own jewelry, something that represents you, gives you self-expression, and makes a bold statement.
That’s it. Your mind is made up and you’re going to create your own jewelry.
Good for you Diva, welcome to our world. Many jewelry artists start by reading books, taking a class, joining a jewelry club, watching videos or simply diving into experimentation.
No matter how or where you start every Jewelry Diva must have these essential tools:
1. Round nose pliers- These pliers are definitely needed to make simple loops, and later, eccentric designs. Nickname: Alligator*.
2. Flat nose pliers- These help make angles, create awesome geometric shapes and “clean the wire” to make it look more professional. Nickname: The Cleaner*.
3. Wire cutters- These are pretty self- explanatory, they pretty much just cut the wire. Nickname: Cutter.
Seriously Divas, these are the three main tools you’ll need in order to create fabulous pieces of jewelry. I know what you’re saying…But Angela there are SO many other tools on the market, don’t I need them? Nope.
Technically you don’t “need” them, you may want them. I mean do we really “need” a garlic press? People create gadgets to make our lives simpler but sometimes the exact opposite happens we become overwhelmed because we don’t know how to use them. Later we find out the three main tools we started with in the first place does the same job. In the beginning, let’s keep it simple.
Now that we have the jewelry tools, we need the jewelry materials.
The first time I took a basic jewelry class we were given a supply list of materials we needed for the class which was cool but it had no pictures. The list may as well have been written in Spanish because I didn’t know what these items were or what they looked like.
Walking into a craft store trying to find these things by yourself is a nightmare, especially when there are no associates to help you. (True story.) Oh and here’s your first jewelry term: Findings- jewelry components or pieces. So here’s the breakdown:
1. Head pin- In my humble opinion, the head pin looks like a very thin nail. The flat end of a head pin is equated to a stop sign or a period- you can go no further in the design. It stops the bead and almost camouflages itself into the bead. In other words, it takes backstage in the design and allows the beads to be the star of the show. These are available in many gauges, more about this later.
2. Eye Pin- These look like thin sticks/wire with a loop at the end. These loop gives you the option to continue or add to the design, if you were a writer this would be your comma or period. You could simply open the loop to add more: another bead, chain, etc. It’s all up to you and the possibilities are endless.
3. Jump rings- These are available in various sizes, shapes, texture and colors. What is their job in creative design? Jump rings connect pieces together, make things dangle, create length, and in some cases, add texture. Opening a jump ring is easy and did you know there was a kiss involved?! Honey, it’s the most romantic supply ever. We’ll talk about that part at a later date.
4. Ear Wires- Ear wires come in different varieties such as post, kidney, fish hooks, and leverbacks. Although these represent different styles, they all serve the same purpose- to make earrings.
5. Clasps- Just like with ear wires, there are also creative ways to add elegance and finesse to your bracelets and necklaces. You can choose from toggles, spring, and lobster clasps (not the kind you eat, lol). These findings allow you to finish your design.
6. Stretch Magic- I know, I know. Weird name, great resource. This is the elastic used to make those stretchy bracelets you often see in the store, more like a one size fits all type piece. I guess that’s the magic. When purchasing this you want to make sure the elastic isn’t too thick for the hole of our bead. I made this mistake the first time I bought it. Ahhh but I’ve learned my lesson.
7. Beading wire- This is not the wire used in wire wrap projects, this is the wire used in stringing projects. Let me explain this a little better. Beading wire is thin, doesn’t bend into shapes to create funky circles or butterflies. It is used to thread beads on to in order to create multi-strand necklaces, bracelets, decorative earrings….things like that. Get it? Still confused? No worries, there’s a class for that.
8. Crimp beads- These are so freakin’ tiny but so important when creating strung jewelry pieces. So basically these are used in the beginning and the end of a piece. Its purpose is to stop the beads from falling off and to allow room for a closure. (Clasp)
9. Crimp covers- Crimp covers go over the crimp beads to give it a professional look. You’ll definitely want to invest in these and they’re super easy to use.
10. Beads- Of course we need beads and there are many styles, types, colors, shapes, and textures out there. Explore and buy what you like because that’s the whole reason you wanted to create in the first place, right?
Here’s one last tip from one Jewelry Diva to another…….Have fun and let the creativity flow. Oh did I forget to mention that I actually teach jewelry making in our new Member’s Club? I do. You can even treat yourself to a free download of the syllabus by clicking on the photo.
Hey leave us a comment and tell us your flavor or why you decided to get creative! We love meeting new people.
Many times people ask me what inspires me to create or what motivates me to create. To tell you the truth I’ve never really thought about it. It’s just something that I did/do. Or so I thought.
These questions stirred up something within me and I went on a quest to find the answer.
Why DO I create? What are the benefits from creating? When did this creative journey begin?
I dug deeper.
Memories of owning a sticker making machine as a little girl flashed into my mind. The machine was in the shape of a medium sized cream colored plastic house with a cotton candy roof, which served as the lid. The materials for the stickers were inside. You would place a sticker on the two large circle provided and begin creating. I was mesmerized by this idea of creating my own stickers and later started a sticker collection which I still have to this day.
Other forms of creation showed up in areas of dance lessons, which later led to choreographing dance routines with friends.
Writing short stories, which led to graduating with a minor in creative writing. Later in life creating and teaching jewelry.
Gathering all these memories inspired me to create my list of whys. I’ll share them with you and hopefully you can relate.
- Make other people smile
- Allow myself to play
- Me time
- Explore color
- Play with words
- Make something beautiful
- Connect with nature
- Stay in the moment
- Use my imagination
- Try something new
- Get inspired
- Tap into my emotions
- Share with the world
- Inspire others
- Be open-minded
- Better problem solver
- Slow down
- Share memories
- Be a giver
- Solve a problem
- Uplift others
- Connect with others
- Connect with self
- Soul searching
- Teach others what I know
- Challenge myself
- Heal others
- Feel good
- Be courageous
- Express Love
- Step outside the box
- Show my uniqueness
- Positive energy
- Learn a skill
- Celebrate myself
- Celebrate others
- Pass down traditions
- Creative Flow of thought
- Feelings of accomplishment
- Boost of confidence
- Realizing my talent is my gift to the world
This is the long and short of it, also the beginning of a series in which I will expand further and invite you to explore with me.
What inspires you to create?
Wire wrapping has become one of the most popular jewelry making techniques in the industry. It looks extremely difficult but the truth is once you master the basic techniques, the sky’s the limit.
I was first drawn to this technique when I saw a beautiful amethyst gemstone which had been wire wrapped in silver at a bead show. It not only accentuated the color and body of the stone but it added flair and elegance to the stone, like nothing I had ever seen before. At that time I was taking a basic jewelry making course but after seeing that stone, I became curious and bought my first roll of wire.
It was then that I learned something valuable about this technique and its process. There are five skills one needs to master in wire wrapping:
- The Wire. When setting out to learn wire wrapping, it is imperative that you take time to learn about the various gauges of wire so that you know which gauge and type you’ll enjoy working with. Something important to know is the higher the number, the thinner the wire. Play with the gauges and feel how different they are to work with and in no time you’ll become best friends with one of them.
2. It’s All In The Wrist. I don’t care how many wire wrap artists you put in the same room, creating the same project, using the same exact design, the end result will differ from the person next to you, even if only slightly. The reason for this is because it’s all in your wrist. Writers use the same letters in the alphabet that everyone else has access to but the difference is in the way they construct words to formulate their voice and tone throughout their work. Wire wrapping is no different. All the creative energy you muster flows through your body and “your voice” is in your wrist. Your wrist is what controls the way you bend and form your wire, it’s where you develop style.
3. Lose Control. Guess what? When you’re first starting out and learning how to wrap your very first bead, allow yourself room to lose control. Relax and just experiment by playing with the wire so you can get used to handling it. You don’t have to try getting it right the first time, that’s way too much pressure to put on yourself. Have fun and flow with this new discovery. The look you are going for will come in time. Trust me.
4. Patience. Training your wire to do exactly what you want is like training a new puppy. The puppy is new to you and wants to do things its way because it doesn’t know what you want it to do so it does what it wants. I’m totally am not joking, like seriously the wire has a mind. The last thing you want to do is choke the heck out of the wire or squeeze and tug at it so bad that you strip it. Be gentle. Be patient. It will do exactly what you want when you love on it.
5. Practice. Practice is key. You probably thought I was going to start by saying that practice makes perfect. Nope. Absolutely not. There’s no such thing as perfection. I will say that practice makes you better. The key is to continue practice your technique until you’re satisfied with the outcome. And then….practice some more until you move past satisfaction. You’ll become a wire wrap diva in no time!
What’s the one thing you’ve learned while creating jewelry? Share your thoughts, I’d love to hear them.